Easy overnight breakfast casserole is just the thing for a weekend breakfast or hosting company. Make this the night before and pop in the oven in the morning!
My mother has made this recipe for several years – mostly during Christmastime. It pairs perfectly with a fresh Ambrosia Salad, which are the makings of a beautiful Christmas Brunch. It was passed down to me when I was married and in need of something to feed the masses. We make this during the holidays, hosting and vacations with family and friends.
The great thing about this Breakfast Casserole is that can feed a crowd! You might scoff at the 9×13 pan, certain you will need to double the recipe, but trust me, one pan will go a looonnngg way.
Serve this with a pan of bacon! I like to bake mine in the oven to make one large batch at once and cut down on the mess!
Ingredients for Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole
These ingredients are simple and probably pantry staples in most homes.
- Loaf of bread: You can use wheat, white or whatever your taste preferences are. Day old bread works best in absorbing the egg and milk mixture.
- 8 eggs
- 1 pound of sausage: We opt for mild Italian sausage because neither Nikolai or I like breakfast sausage. This is easily replaced with Chorizo for an extra kick or any sausage preference.
- Cheese: We use a mix of Cheddar and Monterrey Jack.
- Time: Don’t be alarmed. Make this ahead the night before and chill until the next morning so the bread can absorb the egg and milk.
You can also add in mushrooms, peppers, onions, bacon, ham… whatever might strike your fancy for breakfast!
How do I reheat a casserole in the oven?
Easily reheat this covered, in the oven at 350 until warm – about 20 minutes.
Steps for Making Breakfast Casserole:
Layered with bread, eggs, cheese, sausage and more cheesy, there won’t be a single hungry tummy.
- First, you start off with a greased 9×13 baking dish. Layer the bread slices in the bottom of the pan. I usually use about 8 slices to cover the bottoms and sides of the casserole dish.
- Then, brown your sausage, drain and crumble over the bread. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and milk together and pour over the bread and sausage. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for one hour at 350F degrees and serve!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound ground sausage*
- 6-8 slices soft hearty bread*
- One 8-ounce package Cheddar cheese*
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, to cover the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with the sausage and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; carefully pour the mixture over the cheese. Top with additional cheese if desired.
- Bake casserole until set and golden - about 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
*Sausage: Feel free to substitute with any breakfast sausage, italian sausage or even chorizo.
*Bread: Can use wheat or white.
*Cheese: Can use any kind of shredded cheese to complement the ingredients you use.
*Additional note: This casserole is versatile and can easily be switched up with other veggies and toppings like peppers, onions, ham, bacon, mushrooms, etc.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 321 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 170mg Sodium 627mg Carbohydrates 13g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 16g