There are few things more southern than a crispy-edged skillet of cornbread. Growing up in the South, cornbread was always made in a cast-iron skillet, generally one passed down through generations.
Now, I own my grandmother’s skillet – and if I’m honest, it’s older than me by about 20 years! Call me a sentimental mush, but I feel so connected to her when I use it.
There are several cautionary tales when it comes to using cast-iron cookware, but I’ll get into that later. I use this recipe frequently, especially in my Cornbread Dressing during the holidays. It’s also a delicious companion with red beans and rice.
Cornbread Recipes by Region
Most Southerners protect their heritage – including cherished cornbread recipes – as if someone will jerk it out from under them.
In many regions, there seems to be a large debate on how exactly the perfect cornbread recipe is made.
- In the South, we are all about savory, buttery, crispy-edged, crumbly goodness that we drown in the nearest bowl of soup or put it to good use and sop up the extra gravy.
- In most locals in the Northern direction, you’ll find a more cakey consistency with a touch of sweetness. I don’t know that I’ve ever watched someone sop up much of anything with this version. Generally, it’s served on the side, much like a piece of bread. It’s tasty – although a bit different than what I’m used to.
- Southwestern areas tend to kick up their recipes with green chillies, peppers and other Southwestern spices.
How to Make Southern Skillet Cornbread
Each time I buy cornmeal, I stick to Martha White. It’s my tried and true brand loyalty because I know it will come out just right every time. I practically go into auto-pilot making this recipe. It’s easy, fast and absolutely delicious.
Easy Southern Cornbread
- 1 tsp Crisco® All-Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Egg
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk (1 1/3 cups milk)
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched Yellow Corn Meal Mix
- HEAT oven to 450ºF. Add vegetable oil to well-seasoned cast-iron skillet. Place in oven to heat for about 5 minutes.
- WHISK egg in medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.